It’s no secret that this winter in the Midwest has been intense. Absurd amount of snow have kept us company for the past few months and we are so over it. Although the snow days were enjoyable I am thankful spring is in the air. I don’t think anyone will argue with me that it is time to put this cold behind us. As a thank-goodness-you-are-leaving tribute to winter I would like to share this soup recipe with you.
Curry Cauliflower Soup
Adapted slightly from Joy the Baker
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut cauliflower into 1 ½ inch florets and dice onion. Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cumin and curry powder. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat. Season with a big pinch of salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Place in the oven and roast until just tender, about 25 minutes.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the last tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the roasted cauliflower to the pot along with the bay leaf, and broth. Simmer over medium heat until liquid has reduced some and the cauliflower is very tender, about 15 minutes. Pick out and discard the bay leaf.
In a blender, puree the soup in two or three batches until very smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the yogurt.
Add a dollop of sour cream. Season with salt, and pepper for serving.
Farewell to Winter
To bid adieu to winter and all things cold I put together lists of things I loved/didn’t love about this past season.
- 26 sub-zero days — Unacceptable!
- Commuting to school in the polar vortex – less than ideal
- Being reminded about the freezing temperatures constantly – as if I could forget!
- Hypothermia warnings – In ten minutes it can happen people!
- Waiting the entire drive to school for my car to warm up
- Hearing my sister talk about envy-worthy 75 degree weather at her house in Florida
- Running on the treadmill – more appropriately titled the “dread-mill”
- Cabin fever like crazy!
- A perfect year for snowmobiling!
- A white Christmas – totally gorgeous
- Attempted skiing again – far less falling this time around
- Extra coffee shop time – outside activities don’t seem appealing at 20 below
- Snow days = delayed exams = I won’t argue
- Soup, soup, and more soup!
- Drinking tea every waking moment to stay warm – David’s Tea anyone?
- Time to catch up on New Girl and Parks and Rec
- Eating ice cream despite the cold – totally normal
Tell me what you LOVED/ DIDN’T LOVE about this Winter.